NMES | Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulator machines offer away to recover faster and return to a normal active lifestyle.
NMES has received increasing attention in the last few years because it has so many useful functions. It is effective for apartially or totally immobilized patient as a rehabilitation and preventive tool by causing muscle contraction using electric impulses.
Neuromuscular electrical stimulation mimics the central nervous system causing the muscles to contract as they would naturally. The impulses are generated by a device such as a NMES unit and delivered through electrodes on the skin. These electrodes are placed on the muscle that needs stimulation.
Physical therapy with NMES machines is effective in preventing muscle atrophy due to disuse of a muscle or muscle groups. It is used primarily after musuloskeletal injuries such as damage to ligaments, tendons, joints, muscles, and bones. Though they look similar, it differs from TENS units. Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation machines use an electric current for pain therapy rather than muscle stimulation.
Neuromuscular Electical Stimulation can be used for conditions that may result in:
- Disuse atrophy (tissue wasting)
- Restricted range of motion such as sprains
- Joint and ligament repair or reconstruction
- Knee cartilage injury (chrondomalacia patella)
- Stroke and spinal damage
- Re-education of partial nerve damaged muscle groups
- Relaxation of spastic muscles
- Post-operative care to improve blood flow in selected muscles
- Maintenance of range of motion
According to research patients, who benefit from NMES can also include those with the following conditions:
- Head injuries
- Neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, and Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Spinal injuries
- Cerebral palsy
- Joint replacements
- Tendon repairs
- Urinary and rectal incontinence
If a patient is partially or fully immobilized due to certain surgeries or injuries, neuromuscular electrical stimulator machines offer a way to recover faster and return to a normal active lifestyle.[/vc_column][/vc_row]