Every 37 Seconds… Someone Dies as a Result of a Blood Clot.
A blood clot in the leg (a deep vein thrombosis, DVT) or a clot to the lung (a pulmonary embolism, PE) can happen to anyone at any age. But some people are more at risk than others.
What are the risk factors for VTE?
- Being in the hospital for an extended period of time
- Having surgery (especially hip, knee and cancer-related surgery
- Not moving for long periods of time (e.g., due to bedrest or long-duration travel)
- Age (60+)
- Personal or family history of blood clots
- Using estrogen-based medication (e.g., oral contraceptives or hormone replacement therapy)
- Pregnancy or recent birth
- Alcohol consumption
DVT is the number 1 preventable cause of hospital deaths in America. By it’s very definition, PREVENTABLE means it doesn’t have to be this way.[/vc_column][/vc_row]